Pages

DEVIN BOND
Thoughts of a wanna-be author and student.


April 29, 2011

Y is for Yuck, Youthfulness and YAY!

First off, OMG YAY THE HARRY POTTER TRAILER IS OUT. ONLY TWO MONTHS AND FIFTEEN DAYS UNTIL IT COMES OUT! I'M SO EXCITED~~~!


Now that that's over with... Majority of us are YA writers, I'm sure, and I know that one of the biggest worries that any YA writer (really, I an include MG with this too--kinda) is having a voice that is too old. You can't expect a 16 year old (or a 12 year old) to have a  24-+ year old's voice! (Just picked a random age with the last bit there.) Even those super mature, "old-souls" have moments that are completely and utterly teenaged. So, how do we achieve a MC that sounds young--and not the type of young that adults think is young.

We all remember being a teen and having our parents use general assumptions of how teens are against us. (I know mine did). I would've never read a book that sounded like that when I was in high school. We have to treat our MC's voice the way a model does their face. The younger it is, the better. (In this genre!)


Informal speech, contractions, a bunch of slang--some ways we can make our voice young, but they don't always work. How do you make your MC's voice sound like a teenager?

Also, just for my own curiosity, what are some things that when you read them, they just make you disgusted? Bodily functions? Gore? Bad spelling? Horrible grammar? Excessive swearing??

1 comment:

  1. Great question. It's going to sound odd, but I try not to think about it when I write. Slang, like you say, can date a book (or just not work) so I don't add that. I just try to connect with how I felt at 15/16. Emotions, for me, add to the voice.

    ReplyDelete

I like reading what you've got to say, so go ahead and make my day! :)