Pages

DEVIN BOND
Thoughts of a wanna-be author and student.


April 29, 2011

W is for Wonder Tunes and Word Choice

Lately I've been listening to the same few songs as I write. They're energetic songs, which is definitely a plus. It gets my brain working faster, which makes the pace go faster. I think. I've always been able to use music to affect the mood of my writing--to get into my MC's head--but I think I was doing it wrong before, haha. It was affecting something--but it wasn't affecting the right thing. I needed the music to affect me. 


And that's what I've got--and it's awesome!  I even finished my (new) first scene. Wooot! Though, music doesn't get all the credit. It's just been a little boost.

Another thing that's helped is doing word wars. Or, rather, word mongering these days. You might've seen people on your twitter feed with #wordmongering in their tweets recently? It's like a massive word war with cheerleaders, haha.

In my last word mongering session, I realize that the choices of words I can use as replacement swears is quite limited. So many swears out there that I've got converted to two words and one phrase. (AKA not much) Now I'm on the hunt for other swears.

Also, did you know that there are only so many ways you can describe the color grey? If only everything in this world was green...

1 comment:

  1. I remember one time a friend described gray as "light black". I thought to myself...how odd. Black is well...black. It can't really be light black now can it.

    ReplyDelete

I like reading what you've got to say, so go ahead and make my day! :)