Pages

DEVIN BOND
Thoughts of a wanna-be author and student.


February 22, 2011

Stupid Dam

First things first, thanks for all the comments on the challenge post! Now to answering it. One, I do have a niece. She's adorable and very distracting. Two, she does own a rabbit's foot and I really do gag when I see it. I don't know why, but they are just so gross to me. Hers is supposedly real. It's tawny and supposedly soft--I wouldn't know, cause I refused to touch it--unlike the neon purple ones I remember seeing in elementary school.  Grass used to make me squirm. I couldn't walk on grass with my bare feet until about sophomore year in high school (about 5 years ago). I still don't like to sit on grass with bare legs, but I can deal with it.

The mythology science project.... Hahaha, well, lets just say that it was about the names of the planets so I told her to find out the names of gods and goddesses that would be the equivalent to the Roman ones and talk about that. (I totally helped with that, but, no one but you guys really needs to know that. :P)

The lie is that my niece and I have never played a game where she yodeled and walked down the hall "all fuliguline." (Wish she had though, cause that would be so awesome!) She does, however like to lick my cheek and attempt to tickle me. Jessie (by the way, go check her out. She's amazing and has great posts!) pointed out that because I'm not 100% bossy that could be a lie, too, so that could also be it. (I still think I'm bossy though...)

Now onto the rest of the post. So, 12 days ago I posted about being on track with my plotting. (You can check that out here if you'd like.) For the past 4 days I've been staring at my computer screen--specifically at the document where I've been plotting--with nothing but "ugh what happens next?!" running through my mind. The river of thoughts I had almost a week ago has had a dam built over it. I think it's similar to the Three Gorges Dam. Huge. Impenetrable And devastating. I am chipping away at it much like a stupid prisoner thinking they can dig their way out of a penitentiary with a spoon. (It might only be like the Hoover Dam, or something small like that--but it feels much bigger.)

I'm hoping when the dam breaks, the amazing reservoir of ideas will just flood my entire brain and I won't be able to think of ANYTHING but my plot.

How's everyone doing?

17 comments:

  1. Send it on over, lady, and I'll think of some things! That's what I'm here for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, fellow group 10er. :)

    Oh no, I hope your dam breaks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh...once my science teacher told me about hook worms, I couldn't walk on grass barefoot anymore. Not to add to your fear. (g)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lie :) Here's what I do when I'm stuck. I go to a different point in the story. Skip ahead or write something else...it might help you remember or have a spark of ingenious creativity. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie - Okay, thanks for the help :)

    Susan - Hi! Thank you, I hope so too!

    Jennifer - Haha. I might be a bit more careful now, though, I don't know if hook worms are very common where I live. That's something I'll have to check out.

    Michelle - Thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep that damn will break eventually! When I'm stuck I go back and read and revise! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nooooooo! I can't believe I missed your post!

    I could have caught the lie. *sniff sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina - Thanks for the advice and the luck!

    Misha - :P You might've~ I was super sneaky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you manage to get through the plotting dam soon. Have you tried just starting writing and seeing if any ideas come to you as you write?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs. I hope your dam breaks soon. When I'm facing the dam I find music helps me break through. I listen over and over to my MS playlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't have gotten that. Good job, Devin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on those! I gotta say, I'm really enjoying reading the crusade posts. The whole rabbits paw thing really threw me off. They make me feel a little queasy too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi - fellow crusader finally stopping by to say hi and follow :)
    Good luck with your plotting - I hope the dam breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope the dam breaks too!

    I gave you an award on my blog, fellow group-ten-ner!

    http://alisonmiller20.blogspot.com/2011/02/awards-and-contests-and-conferences-oh.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sari - Thanks the advice. I'll try that. :)

    Lindsay - I'll listen to even more music.

    Ciara - Thanks!

    Lindsay - I know! Aren't rabbit's paws disgusting?? Blegh!

    Susanna - Hi to you, too. :) Thanks!

    Alison - Thank you for both. More of a thank you for the award :)I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought the rabbit foot had to be a lie, but I see it wasn't.

    The best thing about these plotting sessions where nothing happens is that they eventually end and the words come flowing back.

    ReplyDelete

I like reading what you've got to say, so go ahead and make my day! :)