Pages

DEVIN BOND
Thoughts of a wanna-be author and student.


September 13, 2011

Inspiration or Obligation?

I think I can safely say that, for most of us writers, we feel guilty when we aren't putting our ideas on paper (real or metaphorical). The moment you declare yourself a writer there's this urge to prove that yes, you can write a novel, thank you very much. And no, it's not going to take you thirty years to whip out a draft.

Some people write every day and they can crank out the beginnings of a masterpiece in a month. Their imaginations are a freaking machine. These are the people we're jealous of. Or would be if we let ourselves feel such envious things--or if we weren't already those sorts. (No need to be modest, machines! It's a good type of envy.) 


Others of us have the ideas, but don't have the inspiration. Or we've got the inspiration, but not the ideas. There's always something. But, no matter which way, we take a day off from the MS, perhaps even two or three, until the guilt eats through your insides.

And then comes the sitting in front of blank word documents, struggling to get out whatever we can. Waiting and hoping for the day when our machine moment will come.

Now that I've been working on a different story, I've had less of those obligation days and more inspiration days. I can't say I'm anywhere near being the mental wonder of certain writers, but it's definitely an improvement.

So, what kind of writer are you? Mental machine? Guilt-tripper? Or perhaps somewhere in between?

Also, is anyone else joining the Rule of Three blogfest? It looks like it's going to be fun~ Some of you machines out there could do this in three minutes. :P

3 comments:

  1. Nice post - I am certainly far from a machine. Ideas and inspiration come and go - it is more of a question of time. But I do feel guilty on days I don't even go near my computer. Life is never easy, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with E.D. I'm not a machine by any means, but I just write when I'm either compelled by inspiration, or by my writing-partner LOL:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the Rule of 3 adventure with so many interesting/ talented folks cant wait

    ReplyDelete

I like reading what you've got to say, so go ahead and make my day! :)